Friday, September 14, 2012

It's Fabulous Blogger Friday!!


Happy Friday Friends!,

It's Friday which means it is time for another Fabulous Blogger Friday!! The blogger I am featuring today is truly an inspiration to all of us. She has accomplished so much: National Board Certification, won a seat on the Lego Education Advisory Panel, and a runner up for this year's Fishman Prize. What really amazes me is that Sharon has accomplished all of this being blind. Read on...you will be amazed. Do not miss the video at the end!

Please welcome
 Sharon Dudley


Name of blog:  
Teaching With Sight  (http://teachingwithsight.blogspot.com)

Grade or Subject You Teach?
Kindergarten 

What inspired you to become a teacher?
I had a teacher who noticed I wasn't doing very well in social studies because of my blindness (there was so much text to read!).  The teacher put the social studies book on audio tape for me, and it helped me understand more material.  Listening to the teacher's voice on the tape and realizing how much her compassion and sensitivity changed my life made me decide to become a teacher.

Describe your teaching "personality":
My teaching personality is very loving.  Some of the children call me Mrs. Cuddly Dudley because I'm always patting them on the back or hugging them.  I really believe in the magic of a hug.  I think that a nice hug can set you up right for the whole day.  I'm also very dramatic in the classroom.  I like using puppets and the arts as well as funny voices and faces to teach everything from "The Three Billy Goats Gruff" to learning to count to 100.

What is your favorite subject to teach?
My favorite subject is reading.  This is really strange because I hated reading as a child.  I had such thick glasses, and I thought that most of the things I had to read were boring and dry.  I make guided reading books every night for my students, and I use their ideas to make books fun, motivating and magical. 

What made you decide to begin blogging? 
I was serving as a fellow teacher's informal mentor and she kept telling me that I needed to share my ideas with more people.  So I guess I have Lauren to "blame" for my new addiction.  It's very touching how so many people in the blogging community do not see my disability but just my ideas.

If you could give one piece of advice to your fellow teachers & bloggers, what would it be?
Use your strengths as much as you can in your classroom.  I love singing and dancing, and I try to incorporate them as much as I can in the daily life of the classroom.  I think it helps me to be confident, calm and collected.  Don't try to imitate anyone else - just be yourself.

Finish this sentence: You know you're a teacher when _____________________________.
you're out shopping, you see something cute or strange, and you think "How can I use that in my classroom?"

Any personal links you would like to share with readers (TPT, TN, Pinterest, Etsy)?



A big thank you to Sharon for letting me feature her! If you would like to be featured on Fabulous Blogger Friday, please email me at fsuteach81@yahoo.com

Have a fabulous Friday!,

No comments:

Post a Comment