Saturday, August 11, 2012

Must Have Materials for Reading & Writing Workshop + SALE soon!!

Happy Saturday friends!,

As I prepare for the school year, I thought that this would be the perfect time to tell you about my must haves for Reading and Writing Workshop!

I'm linking up today with My Life as a Third Grade Teacher! Here are my top 3 Reading Workshop Resources:
1. A guided reading binder
This year, I'm using a guided reading binder so my students can keep all of their materials organized. Here is an example of one that Lori from Conversations in Literacy uses that I am basing my binders off of.



2. Letter manipulatives for making words
Uppercase Magnetic Teaching Tiles™

3. When Readers Struggle by Fountas & Pinnell
This book is my go-to for all reading strategies. This book is great for helping students in all areas of reading from phonemic awareness up to comprehension!
I'm going to add an extra one for this category...
Scholastic Leveled Readers
My grade level received a whole kit of Scholastic leveled readers last year & they were such an asset to my reading group. My kids really enjoyed using these guided readers last year!
Lesson Connections


My top 3 Writing Resources:

1. Corrective Tape
Post-it Removable Cover-Up Tape
This is my favorite corrective tape to use! I use this tape when I meet with my students to edit and go over their rough drafts of writing. I let them write over the corrective tape so they can see the word visually. I just started using this last year & it was a huge success!
2. Colorful Pens for final drafts
The one thing that my students come to love is using pens for their final draft of writing. This is a great incentive to get them writing. For my first graders, I usually introduce the pens mid-year once their writing develops a bit more.
3. My document camera
Front Product Image
My document camera is so important because I do a lot of modeling with writing for my first graders. I always start off a lesson my modeling the type of writing that we are practicing that week. My document camera has been so helpful in making this an easy display.

Do you have those go-to resources for reading & writing workshop? Then link up to My Life as a Third Grade Teacher and share them! :)

Also, don't forget the BIG Teachers Pay Teachers sale starting tomorrow!!
My entire store will be 20% off. Use the code BTS12 to get an extra 10% off!! If you are having a sale, link up with Blog Hoppin'!!
I'm off  for some more school supply shopping!! :)
Have a Super Saturday!!,

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for linking up! I also use colorful pens for final drafts!

    I will miss my document camera this year for sure (new school)!

    Lindsay
    My Life as a Third Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been coveting a document camera for years. Maybe this is my year. :) Corrective tape is great. I call it Bandaid tape.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such great reading necessities! I love the letter tiles. I need to get my hands on some of those.

    Emily
    Tangled with Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the corrective tape idea!! Your blog is great. I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adorable blog! Thanks for finding me!

    Alison

    mathswithmeaning.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete