Friday, October 12, 2012

It's Fabulous Blogger Friday!!



Happy Friday Friends,

I am SO sorry that I went MIA on you this week. I have been very bad. Truthfully, I have been getting over a NASTY sinus infection that has had me down and out. I'm finally starting to feel human again just in time for Fabulous Blogger Friday! Today I'm featuring...

Your Name/Name of Blog:

Susie Q
Learning With Susie Q

Susie with her 17 year old son at the beach

Susie graduating with her Master's Degree



Grade or Subject You Teach?

After 10 years of teaching 2nd grade, I am ready for a change. I’ll be moving to 1st grade this fall. This is my first grade change, ever, I’m so excited!!

What inspired you to become a teacher?

Believe it or not, my children actually inspired me to become a teacher. Thirty years ago, if you would have told me I was going to teach, I wouldn’t have believed you. As my children were in their elementary years of school, I was a parent helper in their classrooms. I LOVED the feeling of being in a classroom again, and I thought, “I think I could do this!” So when my baby was going into preschool, I went back to school and got my El. Ed. degree. It was the best decision (besides marrying my honey bunny) I’ve ever made. I am passionate about teaching! I love working with students, learning new things each day, and having the chance to be creative.

Describe your teaching "personality":

I tend to be a bit spontaneous. I’ve been known to burst out in song and/or dance during a serious lesson to liven things up and keep the students on their toes!

Anytime I can legitimately integrate art into my lessons, I do!

I believe students need to move around (a lot!) so we do the Brain Dance, and other activities that get the students up and moving.

We do a lot of team building in my class, so a warm, loving, and non-threatening atmosphere is always present. My students know they can take risks in our classroom, without feeling embarrassed, or any other negative feelings.

What is your favorite subject to teach?

Art, art, art, art!
Even low academic students can excel in art and boost their feelings about school. Struggling students may never get the experience of excelling when it comes to math, reading, or writing, but they can with art.

What made you decide to begin blogging? 

I was blog stalking for the longest time and I’d see all these amazing teachers with wonderful ideas for teaching and the classroom. I thought, maybe I too can share a few ideas that could help someone as well, so right after Christmas 2011, I took the plunge into the blogging world. I have learned so much, and am still learning much. I’m still debating about opening a TPT or TN store. I’ve heard a few things about Pay Pal and I’m not sure what to do, so that’s what is prolonging my decision. If anyone has any thoughts, advice, or suggestions about Pay Pal/TPT/TN, I’d love to hear them.

If you could give one piece of advice to your fellow teachers & bloggers, what would it be?

One of my El. Ed. teachers once told me, “that walking into the classroom is like walking onto a stage. Smile, be happy, and gear up for anything to happen, but the show must go on.” I try to do that each day I step into my classroom.

Finish this sentence: You know you're a teacher when

you make all your doctor and dentist appointments in the months of June, July, and August.

Any personal links you would like to share with readers (TPT, TN, Pinterest, Etsy)?

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/susanjurkatis/

Click HERE for a freebie from Susan: Drawing & Describing Frank!

Susie and her family
From left to right:  Greg (aka: Honey Bunny), Kaitlin, Wes, Ty, and me

A big thank you to Susie for letting me feature you! If you are interested in being featured on Fabulous Blogger Friday, please email me at fsuteach81@yahoo.com.

Have a fabulous Friday evening!,

1 comment:

  1. Lisa, I love your blog! It is just so darn cute and creative! It means so much to me that you swung by! I'm your newest follower!

    Irene
    Learning With Mrs. Leeby

    ReplyDelete