Saturday, April 20, 2013

It's the Magical Product Swap with Lori from Conversations in Literacy!!

Whoop Whoop! It's time for one of my favorite blogging events...The Magical Product Swap!



I just love having the opportunity to discover the talents of so many bloggers out there. I was sooooo excited to learn that I was swapping products with a lovely gal who I have been following since the beginning of my blogging career...the fabulous Lori from Conversations in Literacy!!!

Conversations in Literacy
If you haven't seen her blog yet, you must check it out! I have read so many helpful literacy tips and received so many ideas from following her. It was hard to narrow down what to review, because everything sounded so appealing, but I LOVE teaching writing, so I chose Lori's "I Am An Expert" How-To Writing Unit.

How-To writing is one of my favorite things to teach when I have my writing block. This pack is full of wonderful ideas and organization.

I love how this pack is laid out from beginning to end. I was thrilled to see the common core alignment standards easily accessible for lesson planning purposes!


It also gives detailed instructions on how to use this packet to maximize your student success!


There is something always appealing about having real pictures as examples in packets. I loved the examples of the whole group "how-to" writing ideas that were included and pictures of the how-to booklet.



Speaking of the How-To booklet, this was probably my favorite idea in the entire packet! I love that Lori provided colorful pictures and sentences so students could create their own "How To Make a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich" booklet before embarking on their own How To writing. I also think it would be a great idea for my writing center to include these pictures and other pictures so my students could use them as visuals to help them create more how-to writings!



Also with the how-to writing booklet, there are several wonderful planning pages for students to use as they develop their how-to writings on the subject of their choice. Here is how I utilized my how-to planning pages as examples for my students:



Once planned out, classes can make a how-to writing book as a classroom keepsake!


When students are done editing, revising, and composing their final draft, there is a helpful checklist that they can use to make sure that they included all of the essential components of their how-to writing!


The most pleasing part of this for me as a teacher was the rubric that I found at the end for easy assessment. I may also use this as a guide for my students to develop their own rubrics for grading on their how-to writing as an extension!!


This pack is one of many amazing products in Lori's store. Click on the link below to see this product! It is really a well thought out and beneficial product to help teach your students about how-to writing.


Hop on over to Lori's blog at Conversations in Literacy to check out her review of my Pirate Palooza unit! I will have that on sale in my TPT store for the next 24 hours!!

Click HERE to check it out!

Have a Super Saturday Night!! :-)

6 comments:

  1. Oo I like this unit! We are doing how-to writing next so I might need to go snag this one!

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, you said such nice things and did such a great job showing my unit!! Thank you so much! I loved being your partner in the swap- so much fun!!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally need more for writing! This is awesome!

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great writing unit for teaching how to. Love it!
    Gwen
    Learning With Mrs. Brinn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! We are ending our year with some nonfiction- this will be perfect! Great post- I found you through the product swap! Love your cute blog and am glad to be a new follower :)
    Tracey
    The Teacher’s Chair

    ReplyDelete